Over the past week I updated my main machine from Fedora 30 to Fedora 31. I figured I would write a quick post about the overall experience thus far. I can say that overall the performance seems snappy than it was in Fedora 30. That being said I did run into a few bugs along the way.
The first bug I ran into was the dash-to-dock bug. After updating dash-to-dock settings would work but the dock would not appear on the desktop. I found that a updated RPM build was already available to the community and once applying the updated RPM from the software store and logging out and back in resolved my issues.
The second bug that reared it’s head wasn’t really a bug per se. I run a samba share on my main machine to share content to other machines on my main network. I went to browse my share to find it not working. Running
smbtree on my machine failed to return anything but
smbclient was working just fine but I saw a note about
SMB1 protocol being disabled.
After a bit of digging I found that the new version of smb/nmb (4.11.0) that came with Fedora 31 had disabled SMB1 protocol by default. This older bug report lead me to the final conclusion. After updating my client’s autofs configs to add
vers=3.0 everything was back in order and working.
Overall it was a great experience in comparison to some of my past major revision updates. I did have to reset my wallpaper as part of the screen was ‘torn’ but DKMS handled the nvidia kmod on the new kernel without issues, which was pleasantly surprising.